Tuesday Totals – 23 to 29 July 2012
Here is my weekly round-up of my blog activities – accomplished and planned – that I use to try to keep myself on track, focused and with a sense of achievement! There are seven sections of activities; this post details their status for the weeks 23 to 29 July 2012.
This post is rather long because, as I explained in the last TT, real life rather got the better of me for a bit and I’m playing catch-up!
The books I’m reading as I post.
1. Cameron Nation by David Carraturo
I haven’t opened this in the last week. I’m going to have to make myself finish it.
2. Luke Wood presents More than a Million Words by Luke Wood and others
I’ve nearly finished this one. I try not to read too many in one go, so I can savour each piece.
3. The Great Firewall by Michael C. Boxall
Michael contacted me to offer me a kindle copy to read and review. The opening is very dramatic and I’m just getting to the more human part. Good so far!
Finished This week
1. Growing Up Wired by David Wallace Fleming
This didn’t turn out to be the book I thought it would. I can’t say I enjoyed the frat boy antics and I felt the question posed wasn’t answered.
2. Coffee at Little Angels by Nadine Rose Larter
Nadine gave this book away over a weekend in honour of her 30 birthday. I’m so glad I spotted the offer – this is a lovely book. There’s no drama, a very low key mystery and lots of relationship stuff between the group of friends.
3. Darker by Degree by Keri Knutson & Susan Branham
This was a reread…I needed to write the review for this book and whilst reminding myself of the plot and characters, I found myself hooked. It was just as enjoyable the second time around!
4. Some Like it Rough by Various
A Kindle freebie – the first three stories were well written. The author of the fourth needs a lesson in English grammar…the tenses skipped about so much, often back and forth in one sentence, that it became very difficult to follow the story.
5. Freaks by Tess Gerritsen
This is book 8.5 in a series and is a short. It actually read as an excerpt and finished in a rather rushed and unsatisfactory manner. A Kindle freebie.
Reviews in Manuscript
I like writing with a pen (or pencil) and paper. In addition, it is more convenient to write by hand, since in the time available, I don’t have access to a computer 🙂
Look out for these reviews coming soon:
1. Defying Drakon by Carole Mortimer
2. Hot Girl’s Friend by Lisa Scott
3. The First Rule of Ten by Gay Hendricks & Tinker Lindsey (10% typed)
4. Scarlett’s by A. L. Collins
5. The Serpent Sea by Martha Wells
6. The Wedding Story by Dee Tenorio
7. Little Girls: A Novella by Elton Lord
8. Unforgettable Embrace by Joanne Clancy
9. Dead(ish) by Naomi Kramer
10. A Vampire’s Dominon by V. M. K. Fewings
11. Bone Machine by C. N. James
12. Columbus Avenue Boys by David Carraturo
13. Catestrophically Consequential by Stephen C. Bird
14. The Hero’s Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy
15. Darker by Degree by Keri Knutson & Susan Branham
16. Sanctuary by Glyn Smith-Wild
17. Seven into the Bleak by Matthew Iden
1. Salsa Invertebraxa by Mozchops (scheduled)
I’ve been using a very rough priority scheme to choose my next book to read: author gifts (AG) get priority, followed by First Reads (FR) wins and then anything else I fancy! I thought it might be a good idea if I gave this a little more thought and also worked in some of the NetGalley (NG) books for which I’ve been approved. I have also received books as part of authors’ time limited free offers (FO).
My immediate reading list is:
1. Timepiece by Myra McEntire (NG)
2. Wolf Dawn by Susan Cartwright (AG)
3. For That Day by Low Kay Hwa (AG)
4. One Moment by Kristina McBride (NG)
5. Get Fluffy / by Sparkle Abbey (NG)
6. Monkey with a Pin by Pete Comley (FO)
7. Hound Dog Blues by Virginia Brown (NG)
8. The River Witch by Kimberly Brock (NG)
9. The Top Ten Leadership Commandments by Hans Finzel (NG)
10. Rise by Yosef Gotlieb (NG)
Blog updates completed
1. Tuesday Totals – four posts
2. Bookish Funny Friday – 12th posted, 13th scheduled
Blog Updates Planned
1. Review Policy – mostly written, partly typed
2. Reviews: My thoughts and philosophy – written, partly typed
3. Tuesday Totals – explanation page to be written, a logo would be nice, but not sure what (and how)
4. Rose’s Ramblings – explanation page to be written, logo to be created; two posts written, need to be typed (was Monthly Musings, but I decided that keeping it random was better!)
5. Blog Improvements – section needed with to do list
6. Visitor Counters – need to add them!
I’m gradually making progress with blog updates and reviews. I’m hoping to join Bloggiesta this year and get some of my updates done then. Having this list to come back to is useful as it keeps me on track and stops me heading off in random directions! 🙂
What do you have planned for your blog? How do you decide which book to read next???